A Family That Eats Together: Chicken Pizzaiola
February 4, 2013Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear. Here's Nicole's meal plan for this week.
When I was a kid, my father would take us out to his favorite Italian restaurant. At that time, I was a very picky eater but this dish was one of my favorites and what’s not to love? Fresh mozerella cheese, juicy chicken and tangy tomato sauce makes this dish a kid’s dream dinner. There are lots of ways to make this fattening but in this recipe, I have limited the fat and amped the flavor so that you will never know it is missing.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- 4 half-inch slices of fresh mozerella cheese
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes with their juices, crushed with your hands
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound spaghetti
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the spaghetti as per the package instructions.
- Lay out each piece of chicken. Season the side facing up with salt and pepper to your taste. Place 1 slice of cheese in the center. Roll the chicken over the cheese from one side to the other and fasten with a few toothpicks. (It is ok if the cheese is sticking out of the chicken. Some will naturally melt into the sauce). Repeat with all the chicken. Then season the outside of the chicken with more salt and pepper to your taste.
- Heat a large pan with the oil until it shimmers. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed pepper (if using). Pour in the wine and crushed tomatoes. Stir in the oregano and bring the heat down to a simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti and garnish with parmesan cheese.