A Family that Eats Together: Easy Chicken Cacciatore with Red Pepper Sauce
March 11, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear.
Nicole's meal plan for this week features slow cooker Moroccan brisket with red onions, broccoli rabe pesto with orechiette, kheema mattar curry, Guiness and onion soup with Irish cheddar croutons, and this easy chicken cacciatore with red pepper sauce..
This is a quick and easy recipe that the kids will love. The peppers make the sauce sweet which is a nice addition to cacciatore. What I love about it is how easy it is to make it. I let the chicken poach in the sauce so it is not only healthy but it makes the chicken super juicy with little effort on my part. I serve my cacciatore with spaghetti but any pasta will do. This recipe gets better as left-over’s. I added some peas to it for our lunch today and it was a hit!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb your favorite pasta
- 3 chicken breast, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Prepare the pasta per the package instructions.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes, chicken, wine, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Stir in basil at the end.
- Plate cacciatore over the pasta and garnish with cheese.