A Family That Eats Together: Farmer’s Market Fettuccini
August 6, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear.
Nicole's meal plan for this week features the yummiest peanut tofu stir fry ever, Moroccan chicken pot pie baked in muffin tins, English muffin casserole, and this fresh and simple farmer's market fettuccini.
With the continued bounty of my neighbor’s gardens and my own, I have been looking for new ways to eat all our succulent summer vegetables. This is a quick and easy raw summer pasta dish which can be easily adapted to fit children’s finicky palates. Just modify the recipe using vegetables that they like the best. In this recipe, I use a vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini into extra thin ribbons, which makes it fun for my son and mixes in nicely with the pasta.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons, finely chopped chives
- 2 zucchini, sliced thinly along the length into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 pound fettuccini
- grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup good extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Bring a stockpot of water to a boil for the corn and pasta. When the water boils add the corn and cook for 5 minutes. Remove corn and set aside to cool. Add the pasta to the water and prepare the pasta per the package instructions. In the last 30 seconds of cooking, add the sliced zucchini, and then drain the zucchini with the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix the garlic, onion, vinegar, oil, basil, chives and tomatoes to a large serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Shuck the corn and add it to the bowl. Add the drained pasta and zucchini to the bowl and mix all the ingredients together.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.