A Family That Eats Together: Mesquite Grilled Rib-Eye and Summer Corn with Rosemary-Garlic Oil
June 16, 2013Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Here's Nicole's meal plan for this week.
Simplicity at this best describes this classic Tuscan dinner. The key is using the freshest, organic ingredient you can find. With only a few basic ingredients this quick and easy dinner will wow your family and friends. Serve with your favorite side salad.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive time: 1 hour to overnight
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 2 pounds organic, grass-fed boneless rib-eye steaks
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Mesquite wood chips
- 4 corn on cobs, husked
- aluminum foil
for the rosemary-garlic oil
- 7 inches of fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Soak 4 cups of mesquite wood chips in water for at least one hour or up to overnight. Drain water and set chips aside when you are ready to start grilling.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Place the drained wood chips over your lava rocks, coals or in your smoker box (this depends on what type of grill you have: gas usually has lava rocks, non-gas uses coals and both can use a smoker box for wood chips).
- Pour the 4 tablespoons of oil over the steaks, covering both sides. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper on both sides and then pat the salt and pepper down onto the steaks.
- Wrap up each corncob in a separate piece of foil.
- Place the steaks and corn on the grill and cover so that the mesquite smoke can penetrate the food. Cook for approximately 4 minutes per side for rare. Watch the steaks carefully. Depending on the fat content the steaks can flame, which will cause them to burn, so make sure to cook them slowly. Cook 6–7 minutes per side for medium-rare and longer for well done. Also continue to turn the corn so it cooks all the way around. Remove steaks and corn and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, add the rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper and oil to a blender or food processor and pulse until it is well chopped and incorporated.
- Slice steak and serve it with the corn and a side salad. Drizzle the Rosemary- Garlic Oil over top or serve it on the side for the kids.