A Family That Eats Together: Mexican Lettuce Cups
March 25, 2013Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear. Here's Nicole's meal plan for this week.
Mexican food is a favorite around our house so much so that I am constantly looking for new ways to reinvent it for dinner. This is not only a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight dinner, but can be adapted to fit everyone in the family by offering them their favorite taco toppings. The use of marinated chicken thighs, gives the meal a juicy and intensely flavorful touch. I even made extra chicken thighs to use the following day for sandwiches and to top my salad. Quick, Easy and Delicious!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Inactive time: 1 hour
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Boston lettuce leaves, separated
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- Cheese, jack or cotija
- Mexican crema
For the marinade
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large locking plastic bag, combine the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, ancho chili powder, oregano and garlic. Add the chicken and marinade for 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high and place the chicken on the grill. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken for approximately 6 minutes per side or until done and the juices run clear. Plate the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes, covered. Then, thinly slice the chicken.
- Layer the chicken and additional toppings on the lettuce leaves. If you feel that the kids will not eat the meal in the lettuce leaves, use a flour tortilla instead of the lettuce and if they are open to it, shred the lettuce and place it on the tortilla with their other favorite toppings.