A Family That Eats Together: Tofu Curry with Baby Bok Choy
April 1, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear.
Nicole's meal plan for this week features Chinese roast chicken with whole wheat buns, roasted vegetable and mini meatball pappardelle, chicken tostadas, lamb meatballs with lemon-yogurt sauce, and this tofu curry with baby bok choy.
I love curry dishes, especially with tofu. There is something so warming and delicious about curling up with curry and rice. This recipe is easy to make. I have become a fan of baking tofu to get the consistency of fried tofu without all the fat. Baking it does take more time than frying but, it is half the calories so, it is well worth it. In this recipe, the curry is very mild but it can be easily spiced up with hot pepper flakes. Also, you can substitute asparagus, peas, pea pods and really any vegetable you prefer, in place of the baby bok choy. My son just loved this curry and asked for a second serving, which in my house is always the sign of a successful recipe. Serve with rice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 block (16 oz) of firm tofu, drained and sliced along the length and then cut into triangles
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 can (13.5oz) lite coconut milk
- ½ can of water chestnuts, chopped (found on the Asian isle of most supermarkets)
- 3 heads of baby bok choy, sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce (found on the Asian isle of most supermarkets)
- 3 tsp fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp peanut or vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place tofu triangles on a lined baking sheet. (Preferably lined with a silicone mat, but parchment paper will work too). Place tofu into the oven and cook for 45 minute or until firm and lightly brown.
- About 30 minutes into the tofu cooking, start the sauce. Add the oil to a sauté pan on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add shallots and garlic. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Finally add bok choy and water chestnuts. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer on low, uncovered, for 7 minutes.
- Remove tofu from oven. Gently add tofu to curry sauce.
- Fold in fresh herbs.
- Serve over rice with lots of sauce.