How to Build Fun Lunch Boxes That Your Kids Will Love! Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard
September 10, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes and family dining ideas that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear. Check out Nicole's meal plan for this week.
Most kids love chicken nuggets. I am not preferential to store bought nuggets for a multitude of reasons but I think they are great when homemade. Here is a quick and easy recipe for chicken nuggets that your kids will love. My son couldn’t stop telling everyone at school how his mom made him chicken nuggets. He was so proud and I am sure yours will be too!
Quick tip: Make 2 dozen and keep them refrigerated to use them as you need to. These keep for 4–5 days.
Makes 1 dozen
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 5 chicken tenders cut into 1-inch pieces (regular boneless skinless chicken breast can be cubed as a substitute)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups plain breadcrumbs (buy the dry ones at the supermarket, they have a better texture for these nuggets)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- honey mustard store bought or see my recipe below*
- Pour buttermilk in a large shallow bowl. Add cubed chicken and let it sit until you are ready.
- Preheat oven to 420F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Mix breadcrumbs, onion powder and garlic powder in a large shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and thoroughly coat each piece with the breadcrumb mixture. Place each piece of chicken on the lined baking sheet. Make sure the nuggets don’t touch.
- Place nuggets in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Turning them over half way through. You are looking for them to be lightly browned.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until they are ready to be used.
- Serve with honey mustard.
*Honey Mustard Recipe
- 5 tablespoons local honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.