How to Build Fun Lunch Boxes That Your Kids Will Love! Mexican…
September 24, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes and family dining ideas that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear. Check out Nicole's meal plan for this week.
My son is fanatical about rice and beans. It is so nice to have a warm lunch so with that I thought it would be fun for him to have a Mexican style lunch. In this protein packed lunchbox, I add warm rice and beans to a thermos along with some tortillas and salsa. And don’t forget some treats to make it extra exciting. When I picked him up from school, he couldn’t stop talking about how much fun it was to have warm rice and beans and how he wants it in his next lunchbox.
In this week's lunchbox is the following:
- 1 cup mixed rice and beans with shredded cheddar on top
- 1 folded tortilla
- 2 tablespoons your favorite salsa
- 1 apple
- 2 gluten free chocolate cookies
For the beans: Choose your favorite. I prefer the brands with no BPA in the linings of the cans.
For the rice: Try this recipe or use your favorite.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 of a medium onion
- 1-1/2 cups rice
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the fresh onion. Sauté for 1–2 minutes until softened. Add dry rice and cook with the onions for about 5 minutes or until rice becomes a golden brown color. Add in the garlic to the rice and sauté for one more minute.
- Add in broth and tomato sauce (add slowly into the rice, not directly onto hot pan!) And then add in the parsley if you're using it. Stir it up and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and fluff with a fork.