Skirt Steak with Oregano Chimichurri Sauce and Cilantro-Cotija Corn Ragu
August 27, 2012Posted by pamela |
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear.
Nicole's meal plan for this week Skirt Steak with Oregano Chimichurri and Corn-Cilantro Ragu; Corn Soup with Roasted Corn and Avocado Salsa; Spaghetti with Arugula, Ricotta Salata and a vine ripe roma tomato sauce; Quick and Easy Thai Beef Curry and Chicken and Apricots with a Cilantro-Peanut Sauce.
Ok, I admit this sounds complicated but it really isn’t. The key is a food processor. A blender would also work. This is a super quick and easy recipe with the WOW factor. My family couldn’t get enough of it and it tasted even better the next day.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
for the skirt steak with oregano chimichurri sauce
- 1-1/2 pound skirt steak
- 1/3 cup dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
for the cilantro-cotija corn ragu
- 4 ears of corn, without husks
- ½ pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup Cotija cheese (Parmesan can be substituted)
- 1 garlic clove
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the grill to high.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the oregano, red pepper flakes, parsley, 2 cloves of garlic, salt, 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar. Set aside in a bowl.
- Drizzle oil all over the steak and corn. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower grill heat to medium and place steak and corn on the grill. Cook the steak for 4 minutes per side or until your liking. Cook the corn by turning it as it browns on all sides. About 7-8 minutes total. Take both off the grill and let them rest.
- Wipe out the food processor (you don’t need to clean it well). Add the cilantro, pumpkin seeds, cotija cheese, 1 garlic clove and salt. Turn the food processor or blender on and slowly add the ¾ cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- In a large bowl, cut the corn kernels off of the corncobs and add the sliced tomatoes. Add 6 tablespoons of the cilantro-cotija sauce and mix well. If you would like to add more, do so now.
- Serve corn ragù with thinly sliced steak and chimichurri sauce.