What's for Dinner: Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
February 25, 2013Posted by pamela |
I love it when I find a dish that everyone in the family loves and that's healthy, economical, and easy to make, too. This Chinese-inspired chicken and broccoli stir fry is all of those things. Serve it with some plain rice or Asian noodles and it's a complete dinner that comes together quickly.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, including some of the green part, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, and sesame oil.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high. Add chicken and stir fry until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, scallions and stir fry for another 30 seconds, then and broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli turns bright green, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water or chicken broth, scraping up browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in soy sauce mixture, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until thickened, about a minute. Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice or Asian noodles.