25 Inexpensive (or Free) Things to Do for Families in August
August is here—and with it the last few weeks of summer vacation! You don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos, either! Here are 25 great ideas for great affordable activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in August, all of which are free or really inexpensive. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- Visit the de Young Museum in San Francisco for free on the first Tuesday of the month, August 1, 9:30 am–5:15 pm
- Meet Presidio first responders and see plice and fire displays and demonstrations on National Night Out. August 1, 4:30–7:30 pm.
- Admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum is free on the first Wednesday of the month. August 2, 9 am–5 pm
- Meet Wildcare's Animal Ambassadors at the Corte Madera Library. August 2, 11 am.
- See Pixar's Toy Story on the Green at Marin Country Mart. August 2, 5:30 pm. Family movie screenings take place every Wednesday.
- Attend an end of summer party with Circus of Smiles at the Belvedere Tiburon Library. August 3, 11 am–2 pm.
- Kid's Day–free fair admission for kids 12 & under at the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa. August 3, 11 am–11 pm (carnival opens at 3 pm)
- Have a Picnic on the Plaza in San Anselmo. August 4, 11, and 25, 5–8 pm.
- Bat Night returns to Olompali State Historic Park. August 5, 6–9 pm.
- Watch Disney's Zootopia on Novato's Civic Green. August 5, 7 pm.
- Meet real astronauts and explore space exhibits at the 2017 Novato Space Festival. August 6, 10 am–4 pm.
- Take a full-moon hike at White Hill. August 7, 8–10 pm.
- Be amazed when the Insect Discovery Lab visits the Point Reyes Library. August 11, 11 am–noon.
- Clown around with Unique Derique at Yerba Buena Gardens. August 11, 11 am and 12:15 pm.
- Enjoy the last Creekside Friday event at the Tennessee Valley Cabin. August 11, 6–8 pm.
- Get hands-on at the California Academy of Sciences #TeenScienceNight. August 11, 6:30–9 pm.
- Take part in a skate contest and shenanigans at McInnis Skatepark. August 12, 10 am–2 pm.
- Become a Junior Ranger at Mission San Francisco Solano in Sonoma. August 12, 10:30 am.
Concert for Kids & Tot Art in the Park with Tim Cain at Robin Sweeny Park, Sausalito, August 12, 10:30 am–12:30 pm.
- Catch a free summer family movie at the Mill Valley Library, August 14, 15, and 17, 2:30 pm.
- Make some art in the park at Paradise Beach. August 16, 11 am–2 pm.
- La Mixta Criolla performs swinging Caribbean grooves on the Novato Civic Green. August 19, 5–7 pm.
- Gather 'round the campfire at Stafford Lake Park in Novato. August 19, 7:30–9 pm.
- View the solar eclipse at the Novato Library. August 21, 9–11:45 am.
- Join rangers for an evening of campfire tales at McNears Beach Park in San Rafael. August 25, 7–9 pm.
- Enjoy arts, crafts, and activites at Museum Mondays for Little Ones at the Charles M. Schulz Museum. August 28, 10 am–noon.
February 24, 2018
February 23, 2018
February 22, 2018
February 21, 2018
Promote your business here!