2018 Marin 4th of July Parades, Fireworks and More…
Celebrate Independence Day the Marin County way! Communities across the Marin observe the 4th of July in their own unique ways. Here’s what’s going on in your community on Wednesday, July 4. We will be updating the list as we learn of new events, so please check back. Please keep in mind that event details can change without notice, so please check the event links or call before attending.
You can also add your local Independence Day event to our Family Events Calendar.
Corte Madera and Larkspur
- The Corte Madera-Larkspur festivities celebrate start off with at the 66th Annual Independence Day Pancake Breakfast—with pancakes, sausages, fruit, coffee, orange juice, and milk—at Larkspur's American Legion Twin Cities Post 313 at 500 Magnolia Avenue. The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under, with famous 1928 recipe gin fizzes and the Post 313 Renowned Mimosa for $5 each. Breakfast is from 7:30–11 am; flag raising ceremony at 7:45 am. Info: call (415) 924-6283 or www.americanlegion313.org
- Don’t miss this year’s Corte Madera-Larkspur 4th of July Parade and Festival! One of the biggest 4th of July events in Marin, the parade boasts the elaborate floats, precision drill teams, classic cars, and the Corte Madera Town Band. This year's parade theme is "Building Dreams, Friendships & Memories Generation to Generation.” The parade starts at 10:30 am. Accompanying festivities at Corte Madera's Town Park from 9 am–5 pm include arts and crafts, food and drink, carnival games, children's activities, bounce houses, and stage shows. The parade leaves Redwood High School and winds through downtown Larkspur from Magnolia Avenue and into Corte Madera by way of Tamalpais Drive until it reaches Corte Madera Town Center. The streets will close at 10 am. Info: (415) 924-0441 or www.cortemadera.org.
- Inverness' 4th of July festivities take place from 9 am–1 pm and features its 111th annual foot races for the whole family, from toddlers to adults. Festivities happen on Inverness Way near the fire station. For more info, visit their website.
- Homestead Valley's 4th of July picnic and parade is a fun, family-focused event that celebrates our nation's independence. The day starts with a community parade from Volunteer Park to Stolte Grove, led by a bright red fire truck. Then enjoy an all-American BBQ picnic with food, drink, entertainment, and more. For more info, visit their website.
- Join the Marinwood firefighters on the 4th of July for pancakes from 8:30–11:30 am at the Marinwood Community Center, 775 Miller Creek Road, San Rafael. For more info call (415) 479-0122 or visit www.marinwood.org.
- Rancho Nicasio Restaurant & Bar will hold its annual 4th of July Weekend BBQ on the Lawn, featuring the Zydeco Flames, at 4 pm at the town square (doors open at 3 pm). $20; children under 3 free. Bring your beach blankets and low-backed sand chairs. Picnic tables reservable for parties of 8 or more. Call (415) 662-2219 or www.ranchonicasio.com
- The annual Buckaroo Breakfast is a traditional part of the 4th of July festivities in Novato. Breakfast is served from 7 to 10 am at the Redwood Credit Union parking lot at 1010 Grant Avenue in downtown Novato. Come enjoy eggs, pancakes, sausage, orange juice, and coffee. Hosted by the Presbyterian Church of Novato, proceeds benefit Novato Youth Center. Suggested donation: $7 for adults, $5 for kids. Info: www.novatoparade.com
- Novato’s Fourth of July Parade is one of the largest in the Bay Area and begins at 10 am in downtown Novato at the corner of Grant and Railroad Avenues. Every year Novato hosts 15,000 to 20,000 spectators and over 100 parade entries ranging from classic cars and vintage military vehicles to Irish bagpipers and a Chinese drum and bell corps. Along the parade route, you will also find food and refreshment booths and souvenir t-shirts. This year's theme: Community Spirit Alive. Info: www.novatoparade.com.
- The town of Ross celebrates the 4th of July at its annual parade and picnic on the Ross Common. Festivities begin at 11 am with a one-of-a-kind parade followed by a picnic lunch and old fashioned games. More info: www.townofross.org
San Rafael — Marin County Fair
- The Marin County Fair (at Marin County Fairgrounds, Civic Center Drive in San Rafael) offers what is pretty much Marin County's official fireworks display. Fair admission is $15–$20 and includes free carnival rides, exhibits, music, and more. This year's fair theme is "All for One, Fun for All." Fireworks begin at 9:30 pm every night from June 30–July 4. Fair hours are 11 am–11 pm. Info: (415) 499-6400 or www.marinfair.org.
- Sausalito’s 4th of July parade starts at Second and Main Streets at 10 am and travels down Bridgeway to Caledonia and ends at Caledonia and Bee Street. A picnic in Dunphy park with games and live music follow the parade at noon. Food, dancing, family games, tug-of-war and famous traditional egg toss help make this an exciting event for the whole family. Come and enjoy a good old-fashioned 4th of July celebration!
- Sausalito's Fireworks Extravaganza takes place at Gabrielson Park from 6:30–9:30 pm. Enjoy live entertainment and a spectacular fireworks display off Spinnaker Point. Fireworks begin at 9 pm. This year, the display is set to music—tune in to Radio Sausalito at 1610 AM or Comcast Cable channel 30 during the show.
- One of the best ways to see the San Francisco fireworks display is from the Bay! The Angel Island Tiburon Ferry offers its annual 4th of July fireworks cruise—a tradition for over 24 years. The cruise begins boarding at 8 pm and departs at 8:30 pm from the Tiburon ferry dock off Main Street, and returns after the show at approximately 10:30 pm. Tickets are $75 for adults, $55 for children ages 5–12, and free for children under 5. Bring your own picnic dinner; beer, wine, soft drinks, and snacks will be available for purchase on board. Reservations are required and tickets to sell out. Boats do not stop at Angel Island. For more info and reservations call (415) 435-2131 or visit their website.
- Watch the fireworks from Angel Island's Battery Ledyard, which offers a spectacular view of San Francisco Bay. Adults $73, children 5–12 $52, under 5 free. Tickets include ferry ride, round-trip shuttle service to Battery Ledyard, live music, and a hot beverage. Box dinners, beer and wine available for purchase. Ferry departs Tiburon for Angel Island at 7 pm and leaves the island at approximately 10:45–11 pm. Info: www.angelisland.com.
- Start the 4th of July off with the Woodacre firefighters' pancake breakfast from 7 to 11 am at the Woodacre Fire Station, 33 Castle Rock Road. Info: call (415) 499-6717.
- Bring the family to San Geronimo Valley's Independence Day parade, country fun day, and flea market on July 4th. The parade begins at noon at the Woodacre Improvement Club in downtown Woodacre and follows Railroad Avenue to Dickson Ranch (at 182 San Geronimo Valley Drive), with festivities continuing until 4 pm. Enjoy games, BBQ, and live music. Event is free. For more info, visit their website.
Elsewhere in the Bay Area
- Celebrate the 4th of July with a fireworks spectacular and the San Francisco Symphony, led by Edwin Outwater, at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View. The evening begins at 8 pm and concludes with a spectacular fireworks show set to stirring patriotic songs and marches. Info: www.shorelineamphitheatre.com
- Take a 4th of July Fireworks Cruise with the Blue and Gold Fleet and see the San Francisco fireworks display from the Bay! A fireworks cruise departs at 8 pm from Pier 41, and a no-alcohol cruise for families leaves PIER 39 at 8:15 pm. Advance tickets $85 adults; child admission included in family pack rates only, $300 and up depending on number of children. Boarding begins 30 minutes before departure time. More info and tickets: www.blueandgoldfleet.com
Bay Area Independence Day Fireworks Displays
If you and your family finds itself elsewhere in the Bay Area this 4th of July, here are a few fireworks displays farther afield:
- Berkeley: 4th of July fireworks at 9:30 pm off the end of the Berkeley Pier. Family activities from noon to 10 pm at the Berkeley Marina, including the Kids' Adventure Playgound, live entertainment, and food vendors. Info: (510) 548-3553 or www.anotherbullwinkelshow.com/4th-of-july
- Petaluma: Petaluma 4th of July celebration at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds starts at 5 pm with family fun and activities, live music, food vendors, with fireworks taking place sometime after 9 pm. Enjoy live music by Highway Poets and the Grain, kids' activities, local food vendors, and more. Free admission. Event details
- San Francisco: July 4th Celebration at the Pier. Free. Live music and family entertainment all day at PIER 39. See San Francisco's spectacular fireworks display at 9:30 pm. Info: www.pier39.com
- Santa Rosa: Sonoma County's Red, White, and Boom takes place at Sonoma County Fairgrounds. The fairgrounds open at 3 pm. Live music by the Wonderbread 5, Court 'n' Disaster, and others. Jumpy houses, face painting, and more for the kids. Admission: $5–$10; VIP ticket $75. Parking fee $10. Info: santarosaredwhiteandboom.com
- Sonoma: 4th of July Fireworks Display. Vallejo's Field, West Spain Street. Free. Fireworks at dusk. Info: (707) 938-4626.
- Vallejo: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom hosts the Coca-Cola July 4th Fest on June 30–July 4. Enjoy the park from 10:30 am to 10 pm with the day culminating in a fantastic fireworks show. Info: www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom
Some communities are celebrating Independence Day a little early this year:
- Bodega Bay: Fireworks over Bodega Bay start at 9:30 pm, Sunday, July 1. Show is at Westside Park, 2400 Westshore Road, but can be seen from all over Bodega Bay. Info: (707) 875-3866 or www.visitbodegabayca.com.
- Sebastopol: Fireworks take place at Analy High School, Tuesday, July 3. Gates open at 5:30 pm, bands and dancing start at 6 pm. Enjoy live music, dancing, food and many other activities; $10 general, $5 children 6–11, 5 and under free. Fireworks begin at approximately 9:40 pm. Info: www.sebastopolkiwanis.org
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!