Best Trick-or-Treat Neighborhoods in Marin
October 16, 2013Posted by pamela |
Halloween may be one of everyone's favorite holidays, but trick-or-treating, once its primary activity, is kind of a lost art these days. It used to be you'd just trick-or-treat in your neighborhood, but many communities just aren't Halloween friendly these days. In fact, it seems that many otherwise bustling neighborhoods are ghost towns on Halloween night.
If you happen to live in one that does go all out for Halloween, good for you! Otherwise, you might want to seek out another neighborhood in which to find that Halloween spirit—plenty of families do.
Here's out list of Marin County's top (in no particular order) trick-or-treat Halloween hot spots, as chosen by our readers, friends, and Facebook page fans. If you're sure you know of a neighborhood where the trick-or-treat action is even better than these, let us know. Leave a comment or send us an email! (Of course if you want to keep your favorite Marin trick-or-treat spot a secret, that's OK, too.)
- Hamilton, Novato—The Hamilton neighborhood in Novato is full of families and enjoys a sort of small-town atmosphere. It's the go-to trick-or-treat spot of many Marinites.
- Peacock Drive, San Rafael—This street in San Rafael's Peacock Gap neighborhood is safe and boasts a good concentration of homes to visit on Halloween.
- Quietwood Drive, Marinwood—This quiet (as befitting its name) street resembles something you'd see in Leave it to Beaver or another depiction of '50s suburban life. Check out all the Halloween decorations, and stay for the trick-or-treating. Come back in December to see the awesome Bear House in its full glory.
- Sycamore Avenue, Mill Valley—This leafy residential street is home to a great park (Sycamore Park) and a lot of families. It becomes a party in the streets on Halloween!
- Shady Lane, Ross—The tony town of Ross has autumn atmosphere galore, and stylish street becomes a safe pedestrian zone on Halloween night.
- Caledonia Street, Sausalito. Away from the touristy hustle and bustle of Bridgeway, the Caledonia Street neighborhood is where the locals come to shop and dine. Caledonia and its nearby streets are also apparently a great place to trick-or-treat. It's also where Sausalito's city-sponsored trick-or-treat lane and other Halloween activities take place from 5:45–8 pm.
- Devonshire Drive, Novato—This neighborhood is home to the famous Rombeiro Christmas House, but did you know they go all-out for Halloween, too? Many of the neighbors get into the spirit, as well, making this a great trick-or-treat spot in western Novato.
Keep in mind that a lot of people know about these neighborhoods, and it can get pretty crowded with all the out of towners driving in, so be prepared for a parking challenge. Also, you're a guest in someone else's neighborhood, so be considerate and courteous. But above all, have fun!