'Tis the Season for Science–Cal Academy
This event is expired.
Make way for reindeer! Starting Friday, November 20, revel in the wintery atmosphere of ‘Tis the Season for Science, an annual holiday tradition in the heart of Golden Gate Park. Venture to the Academy’s East Garden to meet two hoofed holiday visitors, Cookie and Peppermint, and learn how this antlered duo is uniquely equipped to migrate vast distances. Reindeer have remarkable adaptations—from hollow hairs for warmth to feet that act like snowshoes—that allow them to thrive in frigid environments.
While outside, delight in festive decorations and imagine you’re in the Arctic as artificial snow falls overhead. For extra holiday cheer, enjoy cookies and hot cocoa available for purchase from the Academy Café or Terrace Restaurant. Join us in this winter wonderland to celebrate the sights, sounds, and science of the season!
The Academy is open 365 days a year. Holiday hours are 10 am – 3 pm on November 26 (Thanksgiving Day) and 11 am – 5 pm on December 25 (Christmas Day). Winter Academy highlights are below:
- A pair of live reindeer will take up residence in the museum’s East Garden through January 3, 2021.
- Outdoor snow flurries will fall twice an hour accompanied by holiday music.
- Inspired by the northern lights, festive lighting will cast a warm, magical glow over the East Garden when the sun sets.
- Hot cocoa and cookies will be available for purchase in the Academy’s Café or Terrace Restaurant.
- For fresh views of otherworldly landscapes, visit BigPicture in the Piazza, a spectacular showcase of 49 winning images from the Academy’s annual nature, wildlife, and conservation photography competition.
- To escape the winter chill, reserve your time (once you’ve arrived at the Academy) for a walk through the tropical Osher Rainforest, or tour the Steinhart Aquarium for a visit to our new Venom exhibit or iconic Philippine Coral Reef.
- Can’t visit us in person this winter? Connect through Academy @ Home and stay curious—all for free, all the time.