Halloween Craft Project: Paper Jack-O-Lanterns
Kids always love to make fun decorative crafts, especially at Halloween, when they can help make the house or classroom extra spooky. These easy-to-make paper jack-o-lanterns are a Halloween-time take on the traditional paper lantern craft project, and are simple enough that almost anyone in the family can make them. Make a bunch with different face designs and hang them around the house.
Here's what you'll need:
- Orange and green construction paper (we used 12 x 18" sheets, but letter size will work, too)
- Black markers, paint, or construction paper
- A ruler
- A pencil
- A stapler
Here's how to make your jack-o-lanterns:
- Draw a jack-o-lantern face in the center of a sheet of construction paper. You can use back markers, paint, or cut out shapes from black construction paper and glue them on.
- Fold the sheet of paper in half lengthwise.
- With your pencil and ruler, draw a line lengthwise on the paper one inch from the top of the unfolded edge. This is your "do not cut line" that marks where you stop cutting.
- Now, take your pencil and ruler and draw lines one inch apart from the folded edge to the do not cut line.
- Cut the paper along the lines to the "do not cut" line.
- Now unfold the paper.
- Roll the paper into a cylinder and tape the narrow edges of the paper together where they meet. The middle of the lantern will flare out at the crease.
- Cut a strip from the narrow end of a sheet of green construction paper for your jack-o-lantern's handle/stem. Use the stapler or tape to affix the handle to the top of the lantern.
January 22, 2021
January 13, 2021
December 27, 2020
December 13, 2020
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!