Preschool Profile: Hamilton Montessori School in Novato
Hamilton Montessori School opened its doors in February of 2018. The school is located in the heart of Hamilton Town Square in the beautiful Unity in Marin campus in Novato. The school’s natural surroundings invite children to explore and learn. We offer a preschool program for ages 2 to 6 year old.
We asked them to tell us about their program, educational philosophy, and what makes their school special.
Please describe your school's educational philosophy. What’s it all about?
Hamilton Montessori School offers preschool program for children 2 to 6 years old and follows a Montessori philosophy.
Montessori education is a living, concrete form of education that is, at its core, the belief that:
- The world of knowledge is limitless for a child – they need only the ability to access it. Their mode of access is through the senses – concrete learning which allows them to physically experience their knowledge.
- Children have a never-ending curiosity, which, when fostered, evolves into a love of learning, and a strong sense of self.
- Education is a secondary step to appreciation. When children learn to appreciate themselves, others and their environment, they develop an awe and curiosity for their world, a thirst for knowledge, which translates to a love of learning.
- Appreciation for others reaches beyond tolerance. Children can break through barriers of apathy and prejudice, by experiencing the culture of the world within their classroom. Developing an understanding of others unlike themselves, paves the way for education for peace.
The Philosophy of Hamilton Montessori School:
- Inclusion: We have a curriculum of support, which teaches that families of all compositions are valued.
- Antibias Curriculum: We protect the personal values of families by not celebrating holidays but celebrate cultural and seasonal events.
- Non-Violence in Language and Action: We discourage :characters: and superheroes in play and clothing. We take time to teach peaceful resolution skills.
- Partnership: The success of a child depends on the ‘village’ philosophy. Parents and the school must be an active community together.
What does a typical day at your school look like?
Hamilton Montessori School’s hours of operation are 7 am to 6 pm. The school day program starts at 8:30 am. When children arrive to school they are greeted by teacher and their peers. The children choose the activities from different areas of the classroom: language, mathematics, geography, sensorial, cultural (sciences and social studies) or practical life.
Some days the children together with their teacher take a walk in a Meditation Garden, where they can observe the plants and animals scurrying by and have a circle time in one of the peaceful meditation garden areas. Other days the children can be found playing in the courtyard, running in the grass, painting with water, watching the birds take a bath in the fountain. During playground time the children explore the vast playground area, where they wash the trucks, climb, slide, play with water, jump and run.
What programs does your school offer?
We offer several schedule options. School day: 8:30 am to 2:30 pm; half day: 8:30 to 11:30 am or 2 to 5 pm; full day: 7 am to 6 pm. Available days 2, 3 or 5.
Hamilton Montessori School offers preschool for children 2 to 6 years old (toddler though kindergarten) and follows a Montessori philosophy. The classrooms are multi-aged, but divided into basic classrooms:
- Toddlers are gently guided in all academic areas of Montessori education, along with an emphasis on grace and courtesy and positive peer interaction. Music, art and cooking are special focuses.
- Preschoolers/Pre-Kindergarteners incorporate the Montessori areas of learning, with an emphasis in cultural subjects and community connection.
A Montessori classroom is one in which the best education occurs within a multi-age structure, allowing children to learn, not according to chronological age, but according to academic and developmental ability, strength and interest. Our programs include in-services in the arts and sciences, walking adventures and outdoor activities which connect with the academic or social lesson of the month.
What is the process for admissions?
To start the enrollment process we encourage parents to schedule a tour. After the tour the completed enrollment application and a $175 enrollment fee puts the child on a registration list. The application form and other information can be found on our website www.hamiltonmontessori.org.
What makes your school special?
Hamilton Montessori School is a unique school. The school’s surroundings offer many opportunities for children to explore from nature paths, meditation gardens, public library to the Arts Center and Amphitheater Park nearby. It is a place where children come first. Thoughtfully designed classrooms invite the children learn through sensory- motor activities, working with materials that develop their cognitive powers through direct experiences: seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, touching and movement.
Dedicated and experienced teachers guide the children through carefully planned curriculum with an understanding that each child learns at his or her own pace. The teachers modeling the behavior and teaching children conflict resolutions. Parents are an essential part of our school’s life. We are partners in their child’ development and learning. There are many opportunities for parents to volunteer throughout the year. Come and be part of our wonderful Hamilton Montessori School’s community!
January 19, 2020
January 19, 2020
January 17, 2020
January 17, 2020
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!