Regain Your Healthy and Beautiful Skin—A Mommy’s Guide
Marin Mommies presents a guest post by Cheryl Huang, MD FACS—Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
As mothers, we all delight in our babies’ skin—soft, plump and smooth. But we often forget to value our own skin. Neglecting to take proper care of this “canvas of beauty” can deprive us the opportunity to keep looking radiant and youthful for the years to come.
So many factors take a toll on our skin, from stress and hormonal changes to illness, sun exposure, air pollutants, and poor nutrition. These inflict damage on our skin, ultimately leading to the degeneration of collagen and elastin. For many, this breakdown begins during our thirties, with the appearance of fine lines under the eyes and around the corners of the mouth. Those lines may begin to deepen, and the surface of our skin may start to become dull, dry, blotchy, and discolored.
But today we know that the earlier we start taking care our skin, the more damage we can prevent. Simple lifestyle changes and the help of a medical professional can help you make 40 the new 30. The following ideas can go a long way to restoring some of the youth and vigor to our skin.
- Avoid sun exposure. As you diligently slather SPF 30 sun block on your child, remember to apply it to your skin as well! Allow at least 20 minutes for absorption and don’t forget to repeat application throughout the day.
- Drink plenty of water and maintain a healthy balanced diet, with an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Start an effective skincare regimen at home for prevention and restoration. I recommend – and use myself – a simple, four-step line of products, in combination with gentle, resurfacing procedures.
- Lasers can target specific problems, such as erasing broken capillaries on the nose and cheeks.
- Worry lines etched across the forehead, scowl lines between the brows and crow’s feet can be reduced with a with Botox® treatment. This 15 minute office procedure softens wrinkles for up to four months.
- Immediate results also can be seen with the use of Juvederm®, which can plump deeper grooves around the mouth and restore youthful contours. This technique also may increase your own collagen production, so results may be sustained.
You can make a commitment to take care of your skin and reduce signs of aging at any age. Advances in modern science and the field of aesthetics have given us many safe, non-invasive tools to help you look and feel your best. Now we can make the largest—and most visible—organ of your body one of the healthiest.
Dr. Cheryl Huang is a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon and Women’s Specialist in the field of Minimally-Invasive Aesthetics. She is a Marin mother of two and a fervent supporter of her fellow community moms. She practices at Marin Aesthetica 1260 South Eliseo Drive (in the suite with Women’s Medical Associates) in Greenbrae. (415) 548 0301 www.marinaesthetica.com
Promote your business here!