20 Free Things to Do for Families in January
Take a waterfall hike in Marin with the kids this winter.
This January, you don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos! Here are 25 great ideas for activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in January, all of which are free. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- Enjoy free family fun at the Asian Art Museum. Sunday, 10 am–5 pm
- Visit the de Young museum's new de Youngsters Studio. Tuesday–Sunday, 9:30 am–5:15 pm
- Take a winter waterfall hike in Marin.
- Learn about space exploration the Space Station Museum in Novato. Fridays, 6–8 pm, Saturday and Sunday, noon–4 pm
- Listen to stories in French at the Belvedere-Tiburon Library. Tuesday, January 9, 10:15–10:45 am
- Go on a winter wildlife watching expedition to see whales, seals, and more.
- Come to the Fairfax Library for board games and puzzles. Wednesday, January 9, 4–5 pm
- Try making candles, early California-style, at Sonoma State Historic Park. Saturday, January 12, 11 am–2 pm
- Learn about arctic animals at the Marine Mammal Center. Sunday, January 13 and 27, 10 am–noon
- Hike along Lagunitas Creek to learn about Marin's steelhead and salmon. Sunday, January 13, 9 am–noon
- Enjoy the antics of Figmentally: Curious Circus at the Mill Valley Library. Sunday, January 13, 11 am–noon
- Get introduced to comedy improv at the San Anselmo Library. Tuesday, January 15, 3:30–4:30 pm
- Explore the world of insects at the Belvedere-Tiburon Library. Thursday, January 17, 4–5 pm
- Sing and dance with Miss Kitty at the San Rafael Library. Friday, January 18, 10:30–11:15 am
- Take a bike ride or walk along the Tiburon Bike Path.
- Gather 'round the campfire for songs and stories at the historic Sonoma Barracks. Saturday, January 19, 5:15 pm
- Dance, sing, and play with Megan at Book Passage in Corte Madera. Sunday, January 20, 10:30–11 am
- Explore Mt. Burdell on a Nature for Kids hike with Marin County Parks naturalists. Monday, January 21, 10 am–1 pm
- Get crafty at the Marinovation Maker Space in Novato. Saturday, January 26, 10 am–noon
- Step back in time to the Civil War at San Francisco's Fort Point. Saturday, January 26, 10 am–5 pm
August 23, 2019
August 23, 2019
August 22, 2019
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!