Earth Day Family Fun in Marin and the Bay Area
Marin & Bay Area Earth Day Family Happenings!
Earth Day 2021 takes place on Thursday, April 22. Families will find plenty of ways to observe the occasion here in Marin and the Bay Area (and online of course), and we've created a list of local Earth Day events, crafts, hands-on fun or ways to celebrate nature and the planet.
- National Park Week
Saturday, April 17– Sunday, April 25
Join us celebrating National Park Week 2021 from April 17 to 25! Parks across the country will host a variety of special programs, events, and digital experiences. There are also special theme days during the week to highlight the different ways everyone can enjoy national parks. Find out more here.
- Virtual Storytime: Little People, Big Dreams: Earth Heroes
The Walt Disney Family Museum
Tuesday, April 20, 10 am
Join best-selling author Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara for a Virtual Storytime of Little People, BIG DREAMS: Earth Heroes. Hear the stories of three environmental heroes—Jane Goodall, Greta Thunberg, and David Attenborough—and how they pursued their dreams to help conserve the natural world. Free, sign-up required.
- Music with Megan
Thursday, April 22
Drop-in for Earth Day themed music with Music with Megan on Thursday at the various locations: Ross Common, Ross, 9:30–10 am; Civic Center Park, San Rafael, 10:30–11 am; and Town Center, Corte Madera, 11:30 am–noon. Check out her Facebook and Instragram page for more info.
- Earth Day 50th Anniversaries
Thursday, April 22 (all day)
Join us in a community-based project. This year marks both Slide Ranch and Earth Day's 50th anniversaries. Help us celebrate: share with us your dreams for the Earth in the next 50 years, and take a personal Earth Day pledge. We will display all submissions on our website and some of them will be featured on our social media to celebrate our collective vision and pledges honoring the Earth. Send us your submissions here Also, join us next Thursday on social media for videos showcasing the bounty of Slide Ranch - sheep shearing, pollinators, flower crown crafts, garden cooking, who lives on the trails and, of course, lots of goats and sheep!
- Earth Day 2021
Thursday–Sunday, April 22–25, 10 am–3 pm
Celebrate four days of Earth Day with a zoo-wide scavenger hunt that spotlights some of the animals that need our help. Together we can help the planets, the animals and stop the demand as we #EndTheTrade. Grab a scavenger hunt with your map as you enter the Zoo and follow the clues on our self-guided adventure. Find all the clues to find the final location and how you can becoming an Eco-Hero. Free after zoo admission. Event details
- Earth Day Replay — The Big Green Draw 2020: A Climate of Change
The Walt Disney Family Museum
Thursday, April 22, all day
Join the WDFM on Earth Day for a replay of three events previously recorded during their October 2020 Virtual Community Day, The Big Green Draw: A Climate of Change. First, join Roots and Shoots’ National Youth Leadership Council Representative Vaidehi Phirke in a workshop about crafting a Tree of Hope illustrating the root structure that supports you and your hopes and dreams. Next, travel virtually to the Panthera Africa Big Cat Sanctuary—a South African organization that rescues big cats from exploitation in captivity—where lions, caracals, leopards, and tigers paint works of art. Finally, inspired by Walt Disney’s idea for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT), create your own EPCOT map with a focus on sustainability with the museum’s School and Outreach team. Event details
- We're Honoring Earth Day!
Sunset Wellness Mercantile, 37th Ave @ Ortega/Pacheco, San Francisco
Thursday, April 22, 3–7 pm
Join Charity Kahn or Charity and the JAMband for an album release party and family-friendly Earth Day fun. There will be storytime, a dance party and album release, yoga for kids, and more earthy activities. Event details.
- Plant Your Garden: Sprouting Seeds
Bay Area Discovery Museum
Sunday, April 25 & Wednesday, April 28, 10:30–11:15 am
Plant Your Garden is your child's chance to start a garden of their own. Discover the life of plants through hands-on and sensory investigations of botanical varieties, seeds and soil. Then plant your own seeds to take home and watch them grow! Get excited about the natural world in BADM's Outdoor Learning Lab. Dig for worms, dissect a seed to find out what lives inside, plan your spring garden, and sing seed songs! This in-person, 45 - minute long program is designed for children ages 3 - 5 old and their caregiver. All supplies are included. Purchase your tickets here.
- Plant Your Garden: Grow it
Bay Area Discovery Museum
Sunday, April 25 & Wednesday, April 28, 2:30–3:15 pm
Plant Your Garden is your child's chance to start a garden of their own. Discover the life of plants through hands-on and sensory investigations of botanical varieties, seeds and soil. Then plant your own seeds to take home and watch them grow! Get excited about the natural world in BADM's Outdoor Learning Lab. Discover the living soil that helps plants grow and look for pollinators that transform flowers to fruit. We will uncover the life of plants through digging in the soil, dissecting seeds and flowers.This in-person, 45 - minute long program is designed for children ages 5 - 8 old and their caregiver. All supplies are included. Purchase your tickets here.
Earth Day Family Scavenger Hunt
- Go on an Earth Day scavenger hunt with the kiddos this week. Get our fun scavenger hunt printable here.
- Kids can become a Junior Explorer with the National Park Service. Find out how here.
Family Spring Hike
- Get outdoors and appreciate the amazing surroundings and views on one of our 6 spectacular spring wildflower hikes.
- Earth Day experiments with the Exploratorium. Explore the Earth’s atmosphere and oceans this Earth Day with free, hands-on, teacher-tested activities that use everyday materials and real data sets.
- Paint Kindness Rocks. Go on a hike and collect some interesting rocks. Paint the rocks and add some special words of inspiration. You can also paint rocks as garden markers (i.e. tomatoes, lettuce…).
- Recycled egg carton ladybugs. Get a jump on the spring season with this ladybug craft made from a recycled egg carton. These ladybugs are adorable, easy to make, and of course environmentally friendly. Use colorful paints to brighten and make these cool ladybugs stand out.
- Make a Mini Terrarium. It's fun and easy to create your own world in a recycled glass container and decorate it with found materials. This project is great for all ages!
- Create your own herb or vegetable garden. Check out our article about local garden centers that offer curbside pickup or delivery in Marin.
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!