25 Free Things to Do for Families in December
Take a waterfall hike in Marin with the kids this winter.
This December, you don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos! Here are 25 great ideas for activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in December, all of which are free. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- Explore one of the many Christmas tree farms in Petaluma or Sebastopol for some old-fashioned fun.
- Visit the West End Nursery Christmas House in San Rafael.
- Celebrate the season at Mill Valley Winterfest. Sunday, December 2, 11 am–5 pm
- Kick off Hanukkah at the Osher Marin JCC's Festival of Lights. Sunday, December 2, 11:30–2:30 pm
- Be dazzled by the holiday display at the Rombeiro Christmas House. Daily, 6–10 pm
- Explore and shop at Holidays Along the Farm Trails in Sonoma County.
- Visit the de Young museum's new de Youngsters Studio. Tuesday–Sunday, 9:30 am–5:15 pm
- Celebrate Hanukkah at Bon Air Center's Latkes & Lights party. Tuesday, December 4, 5–6 pm
- Admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum is free on the first Wednesday of the month. December 5, 9 am–5 pm
- Make a gingerbread house with Graham crackers at the San Anselmo Library. Wednesday, December 5, 3 pm
- Take a family-friendly waterfall hike in Marin.
- Put your PJs on and listen to the story of the Polar Express at Barnes & Noble in Corte Madera. Friday, December 7, 7 pm
- Celebrate Christmas in Alta California at Sonoma State Historic Park. Saturday, December 8, 4 pm
- Enjoy holiday family fun at Lycée Français' French Winter Fair in Sausalito. Sunday, December 9, 11 am–3 pm
- Rock out to new songs from Megan Schoenboem at Mill Valley Library. Sunday, December 9, 11–11:45 am
- Learn about owls on a Nature for Kids hike at Roy's Redwoods. Sunday, December 9, 2:30–4:30 pm
- Experience the North Pole Review with the Fratello Marionettes at the Larkspur Library. Thursday, December 13, 4–5 pm
- Make a wreath at McNears Beach in San Rafael. Saturday, December 15, 9–11 am
- Com to Marin City Library for the 3rd Annual Snowman Social. Saturday, December 15, 1–3 pm
- See the spectacular lighted boats in the San Rafael Lighted Boat Parade. Saturday, December 15, 5:30–7:30 pm
- Watch the movie The Polar Express under the winter tent in downtown Novato. Saturday, December 15, 6 pm
- Ice skate, play games, and enjoy food and live music at Sundays on Sherman, Winter Edition, in Novato. Sunday, December 16, 11 am–3 pm
- Make snowflakes and enjoy holiday treats at the Sausalito library. Wednesday, December 19, 3:30–4:30 pm
- Take a solstice hike with rangers at Deer Island Preserve. Saturday, December 22, 7–10:30 am
- See the movie Smallfoot at the Sausalito Library. Wednesday, December 26, 3 pm
February 20, 2019
February 19, 2019
February 18, 2019
February 17, 2019
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!