25 Free Things to Do for Families in September
Sundays on Sherman returns to downtown Novato on September 16.
September is here and school's back in session, but there are still plenty of fun family activities and events out there this month. You don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos, either! Here are 25 great ideas for great affordable activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in September, all of which are absolutely free. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- Visit Marin County Parks for free, thanks to Measure A. Saturday, September 1, all day
- Experience free Shakespeare in Old Mill Park with Curtain Theatre. Saturday–Sunday (and Labor Day Monday) through September 9, 2 pm
- Learn to ride a bike at the San Francisco Presidio. Sunday, September 2, 11 am–2 pm
- Celebrate Boats on the Bay with a book reading, family music by Phil Lesh, and more at Terrapin Crossroads. Sunday, September 2, 3:30 pm
- Visit the de Young Museum in San Francisco for free on the first Tuesday of the month, September 4, 9:30 am–5:15 pm
- Enjoy stories and puppetry with Emily Butterfly at Toy Crazy at Marin Country Mart. Tuesday, September 4, 11 am
- Admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum is free on the first Wednesday of the month. September 5, 9 am–5 pm
- See Disney's classic The Lion King in Mill Valley's Old Mill Park. Friday, September 7, 7 pm
- Get up-close and personal with wildlife at the annual Nature and Optics Festival at Sonoma State Historic Park. Saturday, September 8, 10 am
- Bike or hike and watch for wildlife at the Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds in San Rafael.
- Drop in at the South Novato Library for games, crafts, and more on Friday Funday. Friday, September 14, 3–4 pm
- Sing along and roast marshmallows at the Sonoma Barracks' campfire program. Saturday, September 15, 6:30 pm
- Take part in fun activities and play in downtown Novato at Sundays on Sherman. Sunday, September 16, 11 am–3 pm
- Rock out Charity and the JAMband at the Park Chalet in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Sunday, September 16, 3–5 pm
- Go play and picnic at Hauke Park in Mill Valley.
- Feathers, Fur, and Scales brings the animals of WildCare to the San Anselmo Library. Tuesday, September 18, 3:30–4:30 pm
- Spend an evening with author and comics creator Lisa Brown, part of the Marin Comics Festival. Thursday, September 20, 6–7 pm
- Join rangers for an evening of fun around the campfire at Stafford Lake Park. Friday, September 21, 7–9 pm
- Meet Stinky Cecil creator Paige Braddock at the Point Reyes Library. Saturday, September 22, 11 am–noon
- See Star Wars: The Last Jedi in San Anselmo's Creek Park. Come in costume and don't forget your light saber! Saturday, September 22, 7 pm
- Take a history walk with a ranger at Mt. Burdell Preserve in Novato. Sunday, September 23, 9 am–1 pm
- Visit the seals and sealions at the Marine Mammal Center in the Marin Headlands.
- Party in the street at Friday Nights on Main in downtown Tiburon. Friday, September 28, 6–9 pm
- Learn to saltwater fish at McNears Beach, Saturday, September 29, 8:30 am
- Celebrate Snoopy and the Year of the Dog with a free day at the Charles M. Schulz Museum. Saturday, September 29, 10 am–5 pm