25 Free Things to Do for Families in September
Sundays on Sherman returns to downtown Novato on September 15.
September is here and school's back in session, but there are still plenty of fun family activities and events out there this month. You don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos, either! Here are 25 great ideas for great affordable activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in September, all of which are absolutely free. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- The Beatles tribute band the Sun Kings perform a free concert in Belvedere Park. Sunday, September 1,
- Experience free Shakespeare in Old Mill Park with Curtain Theatre. Saturday–Sunday (and Labor Day Monday) through September 8, 2 pm
- Learn to ride a bike at the San Francisco Presidio. Sunday, September 1, 11 am–2 pm
- Visit the de Young Museum in San Francisco for free on the first Tuesday of the month, September 3, 9:30 am–5:15 pm
- Admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum is free on the first Wednesday of the month. September 4, 9 am–5 pm
- Visit Marin County Parks for free, thanks to Measure A. Saturday, September 7, all day
- Sing along and roast marshmallows at the Sonoma Barracks' campfire program. Saturday, September 7, 6:30 pm
- See Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in San Anselmo's Creek Park. Wear your favorite sci-fi costume! Saturday, September 7, 7 pm
- Explore Indian Tree Preserve on a Nature for Kids Hike with Marin Parks naturalists. Sunday, September 8, 10 am–1 pm
- See Disney's Ralph Wrecks the Internet in Mill Valley's Old Mill Park. Friday, September 13, 7 pm
- Get up-close and personal with wildlife at the annual Nature and Optics Festival at Sonoma State Historic Park. Saturday, September 14, 10 am
- Bike or hike and watch for wildlife at the Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds in San Rafael.
- Take part in fun activities and play in downtown Novato at Sundays on Sherman. Sunday, September 15, 11 am–3 pm
- Rock out with Charity and Laurie at the Park Chalet in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Sunday, September 15, 3–5 pm
- Go play and picnic at Hauke Park in Mill Valley.
- Learn how to draw anime at the San Rafael Library, part of the Marin Comics Festival. Wednesday, September 18, 4:30–5:45 pm
- Pitch in to help on Coastal Cleanup Day at various locations in Marin, Saturday, September 21, 9 am–noon
- Enjoy a free afternoon of music, community and fun at Porch Fest, Gerstle Park, San Rafael. Sunday, September 22, 12–5 pm.
- Visit the seals and sealions at the Marine Mammal Center in the Marin Headlands.
- Meet author Judd Winick at the Mill Valley Library, part of the Marin Comics Fest. Monday, September 23, 5–6 pm
- Meet author Mat Heagarty at the Belvedere-Tiburon Library, part of the Marin Comics Fest. Wednesday, September 25, 4–5 pm
- Sing & Dance with Miss Kitty, San Rafael Public Library. Friday, September 27, 10:30 am.
- Bring the family for an out door movie, Jurassic Park, Creek Park, San Anselmo. Saturday, September 28, at dusk.
- Friendly-family all-day free kids music festival, Freight & Salvage, Berkeley. Saturday, September 28, 10:45 am–6 pm.
- Enjoy a family-friendly parade, live music, children's activities at County Fair Day, Downtown San Anselmo. Sunday, September 29, 10 am–3 pm
September 16, 2019
September 16, 2019
September 15, 2019
September 12, 2019
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!