25 Inexpensive (or Free) Things to Do for Families in July
July is here, and there's so much for families to do in Marin and the Bay Area. You don't have to break the bank to have a great time with the kiddos, either! Here are 25 great ideas for great affordable activities and outings in Marin and the Bay Area in July, all of which are free or really inexpensive. Keep in mind some of these activities require advance registration, so check before you go.
- See some art for free at the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. Fridays through August 18, 5–8:30 pm
- Play 18 holes of mini golf with the kiddos at McInnis Park. Open daily.
- Visit the seals and sea lions the Marine Mammal Center in the Marin Headlands. Open daily, 10 am–4 pm
- Admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum is free on the first Wednesday of the month. July 5, 9 am–5 pm
- Magician Brian Scott performs at the Mill Valley Library. July 5, 3:30–4:30 pm
- Tweens and teens learn the science behind boba at the Corte Madera Library. July 6, 11 am–12:30 pm
- Make your own puppet at the South Novato Library. July 6, 2–3 pm
- Enjoy Hot Dog Thursday at the Pacific Coast Air Museum in Santa Rosa ($5 for museum admission and lunch!). July 6, 10 am–4 pm
- Dance to some Music in the Park in Marinwood. July 7 and 21, 6–8 pm
- Celebrate the 30th anniversary of The Princess Bride at Old Mill Park. July 7; movie begins at sunset.
- Hike with a ranger on the Terwilliger Nature Trail. July 9, 9–11 am
- Picklewater Free Circus Festival returns to Union Square. July 9, 16, and 23, 2–4 pm
- Ride your bikes into Tiburon and explore the sights.
- Watch Winnie the Pooh outdoors at Marin Country Mart. July 12, 5:30 pm
- Get up close and personal with Caterpillar Puppets at Yerba Buena Gardens. July 14, 11 am and 12:15 pm
- Lavay Smith and Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers perform classic jazz on the Novato Civic Green. July 15, 5–7 pm
- Spend an evening on Mt. Burdell with Marin Parks naturalists. July 16, 5–8 pm
- Go onstage with Kenn Adams Adventure Theater at the Dance Palace in Point Reyes. July 17, 1–2 pm
- Gather 'round the campfire at Paradise Beach Park in Tiburon. July 21, 7 pm
- See Disney's The Little Mermaid and Moana on the green for free at Sonoma State University. July 22, 5 pm
- Spend storytime with San Rafael Pacifics players at the Fairfax Library. July 24, 3–3:30 pm
- Build a blanket fort and read bedtime stories at the Mill Valley Library. July 24, 6:30–7:30 pm
- Make some art in the park at Hal Brown Park in Greenbrae. July 26, 11 am–2 pm
- Take to the air at the Berkeley Kite Festival. July 29 and 30, 10 am–6 pm
- San Francisco Ballet takes the stage at Stern Grove. July 30, 2 pm
Promote your business here!