One-Pot Asian Chicken, Rice, and Bok Choy
Marin Mommies presents this week's guest recipe from Nicole Cibellis, Marin mom and author of the blog A Family that Eats Together, where she shares meal plans and recipes that will please foodies and children alike. Nicole is also the creator of the new Little Froglet line of children's activewear. Here's Nicole's meal plan for this week.
This recipe is adapted from a clay-pot chicken recipe. I love clay-pot chicken but I don’t have a clay pot to cook the chicken in so this is my translation of the recipe using a Dutch oven. The first time I had clay-pot chicken was at the Slanted Door in San Francisco. It is so warming and delicious. Charles Phan the owner and executive chef makes his clay-pot chicken with a Vietnamese slant. My recipe it is more Chinese-inspired.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the marinade:
- 1 lb boneless/skinless chicken thighs or breasts (I prefer thighs because they are juicier).
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ tsp salt
For the rice:
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1-1/4 cups rice
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1-1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 head of baby Bok Choy, chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- To prepare the marinade, add all the marinade ingredients to a bowl with the chicken. Mix well and let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients or for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add chicken (without marinade). Cook for about 7–10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rice and mix to allow rice to fully absorb the flavor of the ingredients. Add soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir for about 2 more minutes.
- Add broth and stir to break up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Add Bok Choy to the top but do not mix in. Bring to a slow simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Mix Bok Choy into the rice and chicken and serve.
December 27, 2015
May 18, 2015
May 11, 2015
Promote your business here!