10 Fun Things to Do With Preschoolers in Marin and the Bay Area This Summer
Keeping the little ones busy this summer is a high priority for parents, and if they can learn something in the process then so much the better. Bonus points if you have a great time, too. If you need some inspiration, here are 10 things to do with preschool-aged children in and around Marin and the Bay Area this summer.
- Spend the day at the Bay Area Discovery Museum. This hands-on museum in Sausalito is a perennial favorite for both parents and little ones. Play on their new Discovery Cove boat, Faith, and explore the prehistoric world in their special exhibit Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice this summer.
- Go on a wildlife adventure at the Oakland Zoo! Meet the animals, take a gondola ride to their awesome new California Trail expansion, and hop on board the zoo train and carnival rides.
- Playland in Sausalito has a gym full of inflatables, bounce zones, games, and more, all for kids 7 and under. Free balloon animals, temporary tattoos, and free coffee and tea for the grownups! Plus they have AC for those really hot days.
- Head to the Visitor Center at Point Reyes National Seashore. There's a lot for families to do here, from a short and easy hike on the Earthquake Trail and visiting a reconstructed Miwok village to learning about the natural history of Point Reyes and meeting some friendly Morgan horses. (Tip: One the way, stop by Bovine Bakery in Point Reyes Station for jumbo chocolate chip cookies.)
- Visit Santa Rosa's Howarth Park for a day of fun! Ride a train, carousel, or pony, play on the playground, meet some animals, and even paddle a boat on Lake Ralphine.
- Cool off at a community pool in Marin. We love the Hamilton Community Pool in Novato with its fun play structure, slide, and water sprayers in the shallow Activity Pool.
- Come to a story time or other kids' event at your local library. Library branches throughout Marin have a variety of events for all ages, featuring reading, hands-on activities, shows, and more.
- Sing and dance along at the monthly Concert for Kids and Tot Art in the Park in Sausalito's Robin Sweeny Park, which features popular acts like Tim Cain, James K, and Megan Schoenbohm.
- Take a ride at Sonoma TrainTown—this kid-sized railroad includes animals to feed and pet, a miniature western town to explore and fun carnival rides. It's the perfect destination for a fun day out.
- Head to the Little Farm at Berkeley's Tilden Park to meet animals like cows, bunnies, goats, sheep, and chickens. Don't forget to bring some celery so you can feed the animals!
Sign up for tips & news for Marin families!
Promote your business here!